The magazine's editorial policy “Ubezpieczenia Społeczne. Teoria i praktyka”
26 September 2019
The magazine's editorial policy
“Ubezpieczenia Społeczne. Teoria i praktyka”
- The publisher of the magazine “Ubezpieczenia Społeczne. Teoria i praktyka,” hereinafter referred to as the magazine, is the Social Insurance Institution (ZUS), hereinafter referred to as the publisher.
- The editorial staff, hereinafter referred to as the editors, include:
- the editor-in-chief who is a representative of an external research institution;
- the editorial secretary – employed at the President’s Office;
- the language editor – employed at the President Office;
- the administrative employee responsible, among others, for contract services, preparing distribution lists, indexing magazine information in databases
and technical editorial support.
If the Author presents the results of empirical research in the article, he/she should indicate a link to the appropriate repository. The editors do not store databases to which the authors refer in their publications.
- The composition of articles and subsequent issues of the journal and the distribution of its paper version shall is done in cooperation with the Publishing Office at the Headquarters of the Social Insurance Institution.
- The journal publishes articles on social security in the field of, among others, law, economics and econometrics, political sciences and international relations, general business and accounting, social psychology, communication, the social sciences, general social sciences and finance presenting the views of academic doctrine and practitioners. Polish and English language versions of articles are acceptable.
- Articles published in the journal express the views of the authors and are independent of those held by the publishing institution.
- The condition for the publication of an academic article in the magazine is to obtain two positive independent reviews prepared by persons affiliated to various institutions, while the editors with the utmost diligence take care not to disclose the identity of either the author or the reviewers.
- In each issue of the journal 5 to 8 peer-reviewed academic articles are published.
- The editors of the journal protect the authors' interests, academic reliability and freedom to conduct research. It also undertakes actions aimed at providing an interdisciplinary content, reflecting the representatives of various academic disciplines, promoting diversity in the perception of social security. The race, gender, religion, descent, citizenship, sexual orientation, or political views of the authors in no way influence the assessment of articles and their selection by reviewers. The texts are evaluated only in terms of their substantive correctness and academic reliability.
- Editors make every effort to comply with international publishing ethics standards (based on the Elsevier recommendations and The Committee on Publication Ethics guidelines).
- The nature of the journal's activities is non-commercial. It serves to exchange views, support the development of research and academia in the field of social security and social risk management, as well as to popularize knowledge in this area.
- The magazine has a website, which is available in Polish and English language versions, with regularly updated information about the magazine's policy and activities, including the ethical principles of publishing articles, ISSN and ORCID numbers, information about the magazine’s Program Council, the personal composition of the editorial staff, guidelines for authors, article review procedure, a review sheet, a list of reviewers for the given calendar year. All issues and articles from issue 3/2015, i.e., since the journal adopted an academic formula, are published on the journal's website in open and free access mode.
PUBLICATION OF THE ARTICLE
- The verification process of articles sent to the editor consists of three stages:
- initial editorial review;
- external reviews;
- language editing and composition corrections.
- The author should, together with the text, send a statement (in writing or electronically) about the transfer of the right to publish the article to the Department (also in a written or electronic form).The lack of such a statement will result in the editors taking no further actions related to the publication of the article.
- After submitting the article, understood as the final version of the submitted material, the editors verify the text in the following scope:
- file format - it is necessary to send the text in doc format;
- information about the author/authors (name, surname, academic/ professional title, affiliation, e-mail address, ORCID number);
- information on the percentage contribution of individual authors to the creation of the text – if applicable;
- information on the source of funding for research and work on the article, and information on the possible contribution of academic research institutions, associations and other entities - if applicable;
- the correctness of the title and its consistency with the content of the article - the title should also appear in an English language version;
- summaries and keywords - in Polish and English language versions;
- a structure that should include an introduction, individual fragments highlighted with subheadings, and a summary;
- volume, which should be in the range of 35-45 thousand characters with spaces (exclusions from this rule must be justified by the author and agreed on with the editors);
- preparation of footnotes, drawings, tables, templates and a list of sources – rules for these are described in detail on the magazine's website;
- linguistic correctness;
- similarities to the content published on the Internet through analysis in the anti-plagiarism program, the basis for requesting clarification from the author or rejection of the text will be the following results:
- 50% of the words found as part of a 5-word phrase without the Legal Acts Database;
- 5% of the words found under the 25-word phrases without the Legal Acts Database;
- at the author's request, an article analysis report is available for plagiarism;essential:
- compliance with the thematic profile of the magazine;
- purpose description;
- hypothesis and its verification;
- information on the method adopted for analysis;
- information on the current gap in research on the problem;
- presentation of research questions and their answers.
- Within 5 working days from the date of submitting the text, the editors shall provide the author with feedback on the rejection of the text together with reasons, or about the submitting of the article for external review.
- After the initial acceptance of the article by the editors, the text is immediately transmitted for review. The editors send an inquiry to two experts/affiliated academics at independent institutions. Reviewers represent the academic discipline related to the topic of the article.
- In the absence of a response from the reviewer, within 7 days from the date of submitting the question, the editors select a new reviewer and send the question.
- The editors ensure that the file is completely anonymous before submitting the text for review:
- they delete all information about the author, as well as information that creates the risk of the author's identity being discovered by the reviewer;
- inspects the document for hidden metadata and personal information saved with the document.
- The deadline for preparing a review is 3 weeks from the date of consent to the review itself.
- The review is prepared on a review sheet prepared by the editors, which is published on the journal's website.
- The reviewer expresses an opinion on the publication of the article. The four-step evaluation of the text is indicated in the review sheet and includes the following options:
- acceptance of the article without comments - the article will be published, and the guidelines and comments are left to the author for possible use in the preparation of the final version of the text;
- sending the article to the author to improve specific areas before taking the final decision – the article will be published, but the editorial board will enforce on the author the suggested changes and corrections, if he agrees with them, or if the author's justification is considered appropriate;
- rejection of the text indicating areas that need improvement before re-sending the text for review - the article will not be published, but it can be re-reviewed after applying the changes and corrections;
- rejection of the text due to the poor quality of the article (e.g., a lack of innovation, serious substantive errors, etc.) - the article will not be published and will not be submitted for re-review.
- The completed review sheet after deleting the reviewer's data, as well as after inspecting the document for hidden metadata and personal information saved with the document and the deletion of this data, the editors immediately make available to the author.
- In the case of obtaining two positive reviews for the article to be published, the author should make the necessary substantive corrections within one week of the date of receipt.
- In the case of obtaining one positive and one negative review, the author has the opportunity to:
- ask the editorial staff to forward the text to the third, decisive review;
- make changes to the article within 2 weeks, which will be submitted for re-review by the reviewer who rejected the article.
- Obtaining two negative reviews (option c or d as described in point 9) results in the text being rejected by the editors, who immediately notify the author of their decision.
- After the author submits a version of the article that takes into account the comments of the reviewers – if this situation occurs in a given case – the editors are obliged to propose a linguistic correction within 21 working days.
- After receiving a linguistic correction proposal, the author should agree on the final wording of the text within 14 working days before it is sent for typesetting.
- After agreeing on the final wording of the text, the editors are obliged to publish the submitted article on the website within 21 working days. Each reviewed article contains information about the date of its submission by the author and the final acceptance of the text by the editors.
- The dates referred to in items 7, 11 and 15 may be extended after consultation with the editors, but the maximum duration of work on one article from the moment of text submittance to the date of publication may not exceed 90 working days.
- An article which has received two positive reviews, will be published on the journal's website within the time limit referred to in point 17.
- In cases of a lack of clarity and doubts over an article’s, the final decision is made by the editors, which shall immediately inform the author of the said.
- Contact between the editors, authors and reviewers takes place via e-mail or via the editorial portal.
- The magazine is published quarterly, and subsequent issues are published on the editorial website and ordered to be printed no later than:
- number one – until the end of April of the given year;
- number two – until the end of July in the given year;
- number three – until the end of October in the given year;
- number four – until the end of January of the following year.
- Editors of the journal twice a year, after agreeing with the Program Council, may turn to representatives of academia with a proposal to prepare articles in a specific thematic area. An invitation to submit articles with the expected thematic profile is also published on the journal's website.
- The authors send the editor original papers presenting objective considerations and analyzes on a specific topic. The article is subjected to a review process. The data presented should be accurate, detailed and verifiable. Forgery and deliberate imprecise treatment of the issues raised will not be accepted by the editors.
- The authors present completely original papers, while references to other sources should, and here explicitly, be cited in accordance with the guidelines published on the journal's website.
- Authors should not publish the same article or a significant part of it in other magazines, monographs, collective works or on Internet portals. Parallel submission of an article to more than one editorial office will not be accepted.
- All authors who contributed to the creation of the article should agree to the publication in the form of a letter, e-mail or scan of the letter sent by e-mail, and should also inform the editors about their percentage share in the creation of the text.
- All sources of financial support for the work / project on the basis of which the submitted article was created should be disclosed by the author.
- When a material error or inaccuracy in a published article is revealed, the editors take all actions to withdraw the circulation, correct the article on the journal's website or publish the appropriate correction or errata.
- The editors respect the timeliness of the review process and the language correction.
- The editors provide a double, independent, objective and anonymous review for all parties. The reviewer is obliged to refuse a review if he does not feel competent to give an opinion or recognizes the author of the reviewed article.
- All articles submitted to the editor are treated confidentially. Only the editors of the journal, reviewers and members of the Program Board receive access to the article before its eventual publication.
- Editors are excluded from working on articles, numbers or other activities in relation to which there is a conflict of interest, the phenomenon of plagiarism or autoplagiarism, ghostwriting, guest authorship, or academic misconduct can be proven. If any of the indicated situations is disclosed after the publication of the article or number, the editorial office issues a special errata, leads to correction, prepares a correction or withdraws the given text from publication.
- The editors of the magazine conclude a contract with each author regarding the transfer of property rights to the publisher, and a fee is paid for the publication of the article.
EXISTING JOURNAL POLICY
- The Editorial Board will implement all the policy provisions of the journal from January 1, 2020, and before this date will strive to meet all the conditions set out in the policy.